1.26.2009

Cursor Memory!

I never guessed that this long-ignored option would finally come into its own. The draw system, as I’ve discovered, has made it nigh indispensable. I can now just hit X until I hear the error tone, redirecting my brain to other matters during extended draw sessions. Draw 99, beep!, select next spell, repeat.

There are irregularities in the number of spells drawn. Selphie generally draws more casts than Zell. This is probably stat based. Also, Selphie is matched with Quezicotl, and seems to draw 9 thunders every time she tries.

The results of the SeeD examination mission render it somewhat of a waste. A slew of Galbadia soldiers died to activate a communications tower that Dollet didn’t really care about anyway. They could have just asked. Galbadia gives the impression of being a bunch of troublemakers, so maybe unrest and discord is just their thing. So now the uplink is active, but supposedly useless because of the worldwide interference that began 17 years ago. I’ll assume this event is related to Squall’s birth in true Final Fantasy tradition. The possible exact causes are endless at this point. Squall could be the source of the interference himself.

I’ve decided that Squall and Seifer may themselves comprise an East vs. West subtext. Squall, thin, dark, brooding and patient fits nicely into a stereotypical Japanese teenager role, contrasting Seifer’s blond, Germanic, cocky, impulsive westerner. I doubt that aspect of their relationship will move deeper in this direction… it may have even been an unconscious addition on the part of the designers.

I’m embarrassed to admit that I couldn’t figure out GF Boost. Everyone told me that you have to tap X, but no one said anything about holding select, which apparently you have to do as well. Was this buried in the tutorials somewhere?

1 comment:

  1. Good read. My favorite FF game. Funny, I am playing it as I type this. 11 years after you wrote this. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete